Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dear Annie




Lovely girl, you are the highlight of my every day. Today I took you to Mother's Morning Out while I got groceries. Normally we shop together, but you missed MMO last week and it was an opportune time for me to restock the pantry. It certainly is easier to do errands and chores without you. But as I pushed the grocery cart through the produce section, gingerly setting my selections in the front basket where you normally sit, I missed you. When I returned to pick you up, we went across the street to play at the park instead of going straight home. You tried out all the slides and munched on apple slices, greeting passersby and enjoying the spray of the fountain. You traipsed through the grass and found acorns. You followed a squirrel, waving and saying hi to him. You fell sound asleep on the way home and as usual, I carried you like a rag doll upstairs to your room.

If you had to choose your future occupation today, it would either be veterinarian or geologist. Dogs and rocks are by far your favorite things. Spotting a dog in the neighborhood is the equivalent of a celebrity sighting, in your eyes. You can hardly contain your excitement! And then when the canine approaches you become all flustered and nervous, unable to express the adoration that brims in your face. Every day you spend time harvesting rocks in the yard. Small pebbles are ideal because you can hold several of them in your small, chubby palm. You found a prime harvesting locale today behind the AC unit at the side of the house. Taking me by the hand and saying "Follow!" you led me to the site, squatting as close as possible and pointing, asking me to reach my long arm behind the unit, through the spider webs to retrieve your treasure. I love you, but I have to draw the line! I instead directed you to a fine collection of pebbles at the foundation of the house that you can reach yourself. You resorted to lying on your tummy, body flat to the prickly grass, in order to reach the farthest, most desirable pebble. You carry them, line them up on flat surfaces like car bumpers and the countertop in your playhouse, relocating them like a master gardener arranging plants in his yard. You fondly refer to them as "Rockies." When we shared cookies and milk in your playhouse the other day, you broke your cookie into several small crumbles and lined them up alongside your rockies.

You still have the look of a baby, but the development of your mind and of your personality shock and impress me every day. I have stopped dumbing down vocabulary for you because you pick up accurate words whether or not I teach them to you on purpose. People comment on the words you know and the plainness of your speech, and I am both proud and humbled. I will do the best I can to help you learn, but I believe you will far exceed anyone's expectations regardless of my efforts. You are not just another pretty face! But let's talk about that pretty face for a moment.

It becomes a problem when you fall asleep in the car because all I want to do is sit and stare at that beautiful pout in repose. I can't help but kiss you all the time, and I feel bad for kids who are without a mommy during the day because they miss out on the affection that helps build self esteem and empathy. I love how you show love to your favorite plush pup, Doggie. You asked Grandma for a drink and then patiently offered your doggie a long draw before taking a drink for yourself. You are always giving snacks and drinks to your dolls and animals. You speak sweetly to the scarecrow that decorates our lawn and offer him hugs and kisses. I can see what a compassionate person you are already becoming. I love to dance with you and laugh with you and make silly faces over lunch with you. You are the best part of my day, fom beginning to end.

1 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky Annie - Lucky Mommie - I love you both!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home