Friday, February 03, 2006

Good Morning, Girlie!


Sunlight poured through the window as I awoke this morning. The distant sound of Anne’s high chair dragging across the kitchen floor told me that breakfast was over, and her daddy was probably ready for a break. It isn’t technically “sleeping in” when you have been up half the night with a feverish, coughing baby. But I feel good. I am the only one in this house that feels good. When I came downstairs, I found Anne and Charles reclining on the couch. The best part of my day is her reaction when I walk into the room. The daddy-daughter banter ceases and Anne gasps slightly, inaudibly whispering under her breath as she watches me move across the room. She is all smiles and bruises of bravery and sticky strawberry jam from breakfast. Her back straightens and her smile falters when instead of making a beeline to her, I pause to open the patio blinds. She relaxes again as I continue toward her. Daddy says, “Say hi, Anne.” She speaks as though in a sanctuary, her greeting is a question. Moments later I reach for her, and the spell is broken. “Bye,” she turns and chirps to her daddy as she grabs a fistful of my hair, her other chubby hand opening and closing almost involuntarily in a wave. “I think you’ve been dismissed,” I say to him. His reply: “I need it.” Will the well mommy avoid the nasty bug that has attacked her family all week? Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home